So… I have so much stuff for my horse, I have a WHOLE shed to store all of my horsey products!
At the weekend I decided I was going to tidy it – why did I decide to do it. All I can say is spiders – in every nook and cranny there was a spider and about a million cobwebs! But after fighting off all the spiders and brushing away all of the cobwebs, the shed in now nice and clean. I also decided to organise everything and also labelled everything too! I even got some storage containers from Poundland to keep all my lotions and potions oragnised.
After – a Nice Clean Shed
After I finished cleaning, I came to the conclusion that I am an Equine (Product) Hoarder. I have enough shampoos to wash not only my horse but the whole yard, as well as a lifetime supply of hoof oils/balms. And don’t get me started on rugs, I worked out that I have 7 turnout rugs, three fleeces, one stable rug and one fly rug – all just for one horse! Along with the mountain of saddlepads and headcollars which I have collected over the years.
I don’t think I’ll have buy anything else product wise for a while!
So it has been a while since I last updated you all on Blossom’s diet. I have to say things are looking good and she has lost a bit of weight! I think rationing her feed has really helped to get some of the weight off her.
I am still be very strict on the amount of treats I give her – she now allowed the odd treat here and there. Also I have stopped giving her a much a the ‘lusher’ grass which is dotted around the yard – now I allow her to have some on a treat day. I don’t think Blossom agrees with not been allowed to have as much nice grass and has decided a couple of times to drag me down the drive to get the best grass (bless her!).
Her weight when we first started her diet was: 494kg.
Her current weight: 474kg.
These weights are just approximates, as I use a weight tape. But I am really happy that she is loosing some weight, so it will help with a legs in the future.
In the next couple of weeks I am planning to put her on a low calorie balancer, but I am still doing some research to find the best balancer to suit her.
I will do another update in a couple of months and I will hopefully do a feed update too!
Where has the lovely sunny weather gone?! Today in not so sunny Suffolk it has been raining constantly since about half past nine this morning.
Luckily I have been at work in the shop all day so I didn’t get too damp. But in Blossom’s case, she is absolutely soaked (poor pony!) – I feel so mean as currently she hasn’t got a rug on. She did have her fly rug on, but I thought there was no use keeping it on while it’s pouring with rain.
I was going to put her rain sheet on but as it is British summertime it has just a little to humid for her to have it on – she had it on for all of five minutes and was far too warm underneath, so I decided she could go naked until the weather dries up!
She was happy after I gave her her dinner and a few treats and then went back to enjoying munching on some hay.
Hopefully we will get some nicer weather before the Autumn comes along. It feels like we haven’t had much of a summer! And it also doesn’t help that the days are going so quickly and the months are racing by.
If the weather is nice on Saturday, me and Blossom may venture out for a wander round the village. I may even do a little blogpost about it – keep an eye out!
As the weather was nice yesterday and I had a free day to do whatever I like, I decided to give Blossom a bath. She was such a good horse and was very well behaved – she stood quietly the whole time and was rewarded with a few treats (which she loved!).
I used the Wahl Oatmeal Essence shampoo, along with the Supreme Products Stain Remover shampoo for her tail. I found the pebble brush by Hy worked really well (along with a lot of elbow grease!) to work in the shampoo and remove any stains. I chose to use the oatmeal shampoo as it has soothing properties and does not irritate the skin like some shampoos, especially at this time of year when poor Blossom is covered in fly bites.
After I’d rinsed everything, I dried her of with some microfibre towels and the Multi-towel by Showmaster – which was really handy as it has hand slots allowing me to thoroughly dry Blossom and it also absorbed so much water.
I then applied some NAF grooming spray to her mane and tail, to make them silkly smooth.
She is now all soft and fluffy. And looks super duper clean – I wonder how long it will last!